Monday, June 24, 2013

King & Maxwell - TV Guide: Ask Matt: Jun 24 '13

Source: TV Guide [follow link for complete column]

king and maxwell tnt mon photo king_and_maxwell_tnt_mon_zps87169a92.jpg

TV GUIDE: Ask Matt: Dramedies, Arrested, Nurse Jackie, H50, Hannibal

Jun 24, 2013
by Matt Roush


Send questions and comments to askmatt@tvguidemagazine.com and follow on Twitter!


... Question: I was wondering what you think of TNT's new show King & Maxwell. As a fan of the novels, I was really excited to hear about this. I wasn't too impressed with the pilot. I just don't think it was a good idea to jam an entire novel into one episode. It should have been spread out. However, I enjoyed the second episode a lot better. Both the story and the characters were more fleshed out. After being disappointed in the pilot, it was great to see an improvement. It seems like a good companion to shows like Major Crimes and Rizzoli & Isles. — Mary


Matt Roush: Possibly too good a companion. From the title (with its nearly ubiquitous-on-TNT ampersand) to the casting to the plotting, it all comes off as way too generic for me. Like you, I did enjoy the second episode considerably more than the first, in part because I'm getting a kick out of Ryan Hurst's 360-degree turnabout, from doomed Sons of Anarchy biker to this show's humorous office Rain Man savant. And I understand this week's episode will reveal a bit more of Jon Tenney's back story about why he left the Secret Service under such a cloud. But appointment TV it isn't. (My top Monday summer-procedural pick right now is A&E's Wyoming-set mystery series Longmire.)

No comments:

Post a Comment