Friday, January 4, 2013

Primeval: New World - Vancouver Sun: Sara Canning Interview

Source: Vancouver Sun [follow link for complete interview]

primeval_new_world_space1

VANCOUVER SUN: Hollywood North: Vancouver’s Sara Canning takes a vacation from vampires and velociraptors

Actress talks about her love of delving into the archeology of her roles

By Mark Leiren-Young
January 3, 2013


After running from vampires and velociraptors it’s no wonder Vancouver actress Sara Canning wanted a holiday on Hawaii’s Maui.

Sitting outside a shave ice shop in the surfer town of Paia, Canning told The Sun about her recent adventures on the new Space series, Primeval, the CW hit The Vampire Diaries, a new comedy with the director of National Lampoon’s Vacation and a microbudget indie film where she plays a woman who gets buyer’s remorse after hiring a hit man to knock off her beau.

Canning plays a “predator control expert” in the Space channel’s new made-in Vancouver series, Primeval: New World. “Basically, my character is a conservationist and she gets thrown into this team of dinosaur hunters. The really great thing about my character is she’s very badass, I was running around for five months with guns. She’s also a grounding force in the show because she’s an expert in animal behaviour and that lends itself to understanding human behaviour as well.

Although the cast of Primeval isn’t being chased by raptors or raptor robots, they are still being chased. “It’s pretty cool because we don’t use much green screen. We have a guy who runs around in a grey ninja suit and he’ll chase us like a raptor. We use him as a reference, so it’s pretty great for developing that old thing called the imagination...

sara_canning2

... Canning says she loves acting because she loves people. “My dad always tells me it takes all types to make the world go around. And he’s said that to me since I was very little and I think it had a lasting impression because I’m so fascinated with the study of people and why they are the way they are. That’s my research and my archeology, if you will, when I get a role. I’m so excited to attack a part from every angle of what makes a person a person. And I’ve been really lucky because I’ve played pieces where I’ve had to research women in the 1800s and what societal restrictions were placed on them and I’ve played a bounty hunter. It’s been really wild...

Primeval: New World cast includes Eureka's Niall Matter, Sara Canning, Danny Rahim, Crystal Lowe, Miranda Frigon and Geoff Gustafson.

[NOTE: Primeval: New World moves to Tuesday at 10pm beginning January 22, 2013 on Space Channel in Canada. The series will premiere in the US on Syfy in 2013, and in the UK on Watch Channel on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 9PM.]

No comments:

Post a Comment