Monday, May 16, 2011

Stargate SG-1 - SciFi and TV Talk: Sci-Fi Blast From The Past - Colin Cunningham

Source: SciFi and TV Talk [follow link for complete interview]

SG1

STARGATE SG-1 - SCIFI AND TV TALK: Sci-Fi Blast From The Past - Colin Cunningham

by Steve Eramo
05/11/2011

In today's Sci-Fi Blast From The Past, versatile and talented actor Colin Cunningham talks about finally booking his role as Major Paul Davis on Stargate SG-1. Also, for those who might be new to SciFiAndTvTalk, please note that all my Sci-Fi Blast From The Past posts are portions of previously published interviews from my 30+ years as a freelance journalist. For those who are reading these pieces for the first time, I hope you enjoy them!

Photobucket

... Aliens, reporters, soldiers, even the character of Dr. Daniel Jackson, you name it. Colin Cunningham auditioned for just about every part imaginable on Stargate SG-1. “I couldn’t get arrested on the show,” notes the actor. “I tried and I tried. I even wore glasses when I read for the Daniel role, but nothing seemed to work. Then, after almost two years, this part of Major Paul Davis came along. I went into the audition thinking, ‘OK, here goes nothing,’ and the next thing I knew they said, ‘OK, you’re hired.’ The rest as they say is history. Not long after getting the job I happened to talk to [executive producer] Michael Greenburg who told me, ‘After you came in for your very first audition we said, “We’ve got to find a part for this guy.” So we kept bringing you back in.’ When I landed the Davis role I thought, ‘Yes, I finally made it onboard!’”

Cunningham’s character first arrives on the scene in the second-season Stargate SG-1 episode A Matter of Time. In it, the SGC discovers it cannot terminate a connection to a world near a black hole. The Pentagon dispatches an envoy, USAF Major Paul Davis, to accompany General Hammond (Don S. Davis) back to Washington, D.C. for a top-level meeting on the situation.

“All I kept thinking that day was, ‘Man, I really want to do a good job because I would love for them to invite me back.’ I knew my lines, I knew Don Davis’s lines, I knew everybody’s lines,” laughs Cunningham. “I also wanted to attach a real sense of urgency to all the scenes that Major Davis was in. Oddly enough, I wasn’t nervous. I’d already been acting for a while, so being in front of the cameras didn’t bother me. However, I will admit that I was, and still am, in awe of the Stargate sets. As an actor, sometimes you play a victim, a cop, a lawyer, whatever. Rarely, though, do you get to walk into an Asgard spaceship, you know? It was like being in Disneyland. So that was pretty cool...”

No comments:

Post a Comment