Monday, May 16, 2011

Stargate SG-1 - SciFi and TV Talk: Peter DeLuise Interview

Source: SciFi and TV Talk [follow link for complete interview]

SG1

SCIFI AND TV TALK: Sci-Fi Blast From The Past - Peter DeLuise

by Steve Eramo
05/16/2011

In today's Sci-Fi Blast From The Past, actor/writer/director/producer and all-around nice guy Peter DeLuise talks about his early days on Stargate SG-1.

Photobucket

Peter DeLuise directing Stargate Universe's "Darkness"

Back in the mid-eighties actor Peter DeLuise was making young girls’ hearts flutter with his performance as the hip and hunky Officer Doug Penhall on the popular television series 21 Jump Street. In between busting drug dealers, extortionists and arsonists, DeLuise also had the opportunity to direct three episodes of the program.

His work in front of and behind the cameras impressed director/producer Jonathan Glassner and producer N. John Smith, both of whom eventually ended up producing the MGM/Showtime cable science fiction series Stargate SG-1. They remembered DeLuise and hired him to direct the second season episode Serpent’s Song. Not surprisingly, they were so pleased with the end result that they asked him back to do Show and Tell and, since then, DeLuise has become one of their most prolific and respected directors. For him, it is a match made in heaven.

I’ve always been a huge science fiction fan,” says DeLuise. “As a young child I read a lot of Robert Heinlen. I’ve seen every single episode of Star Trek, classic and contemporary, and I even played a genetically reengineered combat soldier called Dagwood on seaQuest DSV, which was tons of fun. So, naturally, when Stargate came along I was ecstatic. It’s very challenging and stimulating and, because I have a compulsive/obsessive work process, I tend to completely immerse myself in this reality. I must be doing all right because they keep giving me more work. Either that or no one else is available,” he jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment