Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Timothy Olyphant - Justified - TV Guide: Ask Matt - Jan 3 '12

Source: TV Guide [follow link for complete column]

Justified

TV GUIDE: Ask Matt: X Factor, Smash, Homeland, Boardwalk, Dexter and More!

Jan 3, 2012
by Matt Roush


Happy 2012! This week, we take care of some unfinished business from the first half of the TV season while looking ahead to some midseason hopefuls. Keep sending your questions and opinions to askmatt@tvguidemagazine.com and follow me on Twitter!


... Question: At a friend's recommendation, I bought the first season of Justified this summer and I really enjoyed it. I keep hearing that season 2 was even better, but since it hasn't been released on DVD yet, I haven't seen it. I can't for the life of me understand why the powers that be would wait until the new season starts to release the previous season on DVD. It seems smarter to give new fans a chance to get caught up and get hooked on the show before starting a new storyline. It's not like they haven't had months to release season 2. I guess I just don't understand the marketing strategy. Any insight? — Carl


Matt Roush: According to my notes, the Justified season 2 DVD is released today, so what are you waiting for? You have two full weeks to catch up before the third season starts on Jan. 17. (Look for my online review then.) I'm being a bit facetious, but it seems the conventional wisdom regarding this kind of marketing is to drop the DVD relatively close to the start of a new season as part of the promotional build-up. But of course it makes sense to make it available early enough to build the show's fan base in hopes of growing it. And in this case, it would have been even smarter to put it out shortly before Christmas, because it would have made an excellent gift. Regardless of timing, don't miss it, if only for the magnificence of Margo Martindale's Emmy-winning turn as the unforgettable Mags Bennett. And don't think about skipping season 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment