Friday, June 3, 2011

Red Faction: Origins - Worth Playing: Kate Vernon Interview

Source: Worth Playing [follow link for complete interview]

Red Faction: Origins 4

RED FACTION: ORIGINS - WORTH PLAYING: Kate Vernon Interview

by Adam Pavlacka on June 3, 2011

Half a century after the Red Faction resistance and their Marauder allies freed Mars from the brutal Earth Defense Force, harmony on Mars is again threatened but this time by a lethal force shrouded in mystery.

Produced by the SyFy channel in conjunction with THQ, "Red Faction: Origins" is a made-for-TV movie designed to bridge the narrative gap between the events of 2009's Red Faction: Guerrilla and the upcoming Red Faction: Armageddon. Set halfway between the two games, the film stars Kate Vernon (Battlestar Galactica, Heroes). We caught up with Vernon last week at a "Red Faction: Origins" premiere event in San Francisco, Calif., and chatted about the production experience and video games...

Photobucket

Kate Vernon from Battlestar Galactica publicity photos

... WP: Production-wise, computer graphics have become much more film-like, but that also means that there's more use of green screen and aftereffects. What's it like as an actor when you're trying to react or interact with things that aren't there while you're filming?

KV: "This is my first time with green screen. Even though I was on "Battlestar," I did not have to work on green screens. We're working on a freezing, sub-zero set, so it was very difficult, trying and challenging circumstances. On top of it, I'm having to re-create in my mind everything that I'm — it was wild. As an actress, I found it really fascinating, and I could see it being a wonderful challenge. It's like, if an actor puts on a mask, it frees you up to do so many things and be whatever. The same thing — when it's just your imagination, it informs you in a really different way. Because we shot so late at night and it was so cold, to be honest, I was on survival mode. I was thinking as I'm shooting, "Wow, it would be nice if this went to series because then I could really get into this green screen thing and nurture this experience." But I didn't have that luxury while we were shooting. (laughs) I find it fascinating, though..."

Red Faction: Origins premieres on Syfy Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 9/8C.

Cast includes Robert Patrick, Brian J. Smith, Tamzin Merchant, Kate Vernon, Devon Graye, Gareth David-Lloyd, Danielle Nicolet and Gordon Kennedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment