Friday, June 3, 2011

Red Faction: Origins - Show Patrol: Brian J. Smith Interview

Source: Show Patrol [follow link for complete interview]

Red Faction: Origins 4

RED FACTION: ORIGINS - SHOW PATROL: Brian J. Smith: 'Red Faction: Origins' won't suck

By Curt Wagner
April 17, 2011

When Brian J. Smith's agent first approached him with the offer to star in the upcoming Syfy movie, “Red Faction: Origins,” the actor was less than thrilled.

"I immediately was like, 'No, no, no,'" Smith, who play[ed] Lt. Matthew Scott on “Stargate Universe,” told me in February, admitting that he'd seen many a Syfy Saturday B-movie. “They’re fun for what they are, [but] they’re kind of shitastic. Do you know what I mean? Which is awesome. There is a kind of tongue-in-cheek quality about them.”

Red Faction,” he said, will be a step above Syfy's movies of the week. ("Mega Python vs. Gatoroid" comes to mind.) "It's definitely quality and it has really, really smart minds behind it. … This is not going to be another MOW. It just isn’t...”

Photobucket

Brian J. Smith and Robert Patrick from Red Faction: Origins

... You’ve obviously seen some of those Syfy Saturday movies. … They’re totally critic-proof. You almost have to revel in the badness of them.

Brian J. Smith: "Yeah, exactly. So [when I was aproached] I thought, “I don’t know” and “I'm sure it’s fun, but it doesn’t sound like the kind of fun to be having right now.” … I read and it was really freaking good, like really, really good. I called and said, “Who is directing this?” It was Michael Nankin and I kind of spun that name around my head, because I know I’d seen it many, many times somewhere and then it finally hit me: He has directed some of my favorite “Battlestar [Galactica]” episodes, like “Scar” and I think “Rise of the Phoenix.” I knew with that script and with a director that had that kind of sensibility and came from that “Battlestar” world that something pretty cool could come out of it. Plus, it was the first time I had played a lead; it was a big, meaty, huge role to play with a lot going on and it just seemed like a really cool thing to do.

And it was amazing. ... It was hard. It was very cold. I mean it was like –12 Celsius at certain points, and we were outside quite a bit..."


Red Faction: Origins premieres on Syfy Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 9/8C.

Cast includes Robert Patrick, Brian J. Smith, Tamzin Merchant, Kate Vernon, Devon Graye, Gareth David-Lloyd, Danielle Nicolet and Gordon Kennedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment