Sunday, March 17, 2013

Continuum - SciFi and TV Talk: Q & A with Rachel Nichols, Victor Webster & Creator Simon Barry

Source: SciFi and TV Talk [follow link for complete Q & A)

syfy_continuum_monday1

SCIFI AND TV TALK: Q & A with Continuum's Simon Barry, Rachel Nichols and Victor Webster

By Steve Eramo
03/16/2013


... On Monday, March 18th @ 8:00 p.m. EST/PST, Continuum’s first season finale, End Times, airs on Syfy in the US. In anticipation of this, the show’s creator/executive producer Simon Barry along with its leads, Rachel Nichols (Kiera Cameron) and Victor Webster (Carlos Fonnegra), spent some time talking with journalists about season one as well as revealed a bit about what lies ahead in season two. The following is an edited version of that Q & A (beware of minor spoilers). Enjoy!


... Rachel and Victor – this show has a lot of action. Do you guys do your own stunts, and how do you prepare for the physicality in your respective roles?

Rachel Nichols: "There’s this beautiful thing called muscle memory and for me it’s fortunate because I’ve done a lot of action stuff, whether it was G.I. Joe, Alias or even Conan to some degree, I’ve had the good fortune of being able to do a lot of action stuff, and learning a fight sequence and doing a physical scene is a lot like learning a dance. You learn the individual moves and then string them all together. The result is a fluidity that comes after practicing it and going through it.

I don’t do anything special necessarily to prepare, aside from asking our unbelievable stunt coordinator what looks best, will this punch sell, what angle do I need to swing at and stuff like that. I mean, I stay in good shape throughout the season, but I rely quite a bit on my past experiences to help me sort of get through a day
."

Victor Webster: "I used to teach martial arts and I still train quite regularly and compete in martial arts now as a hobby. It’s a passion for me, so I’m like a kid in a candy store when it comes to stunt days/action. I get to play, and I’m working with very, very talented stunt people who along with our stunt coordinator Kimani make me look great in this storyline that we’re doing.

Our show isn’t about a Matrix-style or perfect type of fighting. It’s a very “dirty” style, which has our characters using their surroundings and things around them. That works nicely with our natural talents, and like Rachel, I’ve done films and TV shows involving a lot of action, so it becomes like second nature. It’s something that you learn to do; you’re shown these moves, you practice them, remember them, and you do them.

If we weren’t coordinated and hadn’t been doing things like this prior to Continuum, then that would prove very difficult, but fortunately we have experience, and they make us look good in the editing room as well."

Simon Barry: "Yes, it’s a combination of a lot of elements that go into it, but it does help that Victor and Rachel are really committed to the physical part of their performance. That overlaps well into the fight and action sequences, which in turn makes our lives much easier because we don’t have to hide who’s doing what and don’t have to use stunt doubles a lot of the time. We can rely on Rachel and Victor and it adds tremendously to the realism of the show..."

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE EPISODE TRAILER FOR THE CONTINUUM SEASON ONE FINALE, 'ENDTIME'

No comments:

Post a Comment