Friday, August 17, 2012

Alphas - Sci-Fi TV Talk: Laura Mennell Interview

Source: Sci-Fi TV Talk [follow link for complete interview]

alphas_mondays_8pm1

SCI-FI TV TALK: Alpha Laura Mennell

by Tony Tellado
August 14, 2012

... Tony Tellado: Hi again Laura. One of the things I love about the show is that it mixes the humor along with the serious action. As actors what’s that like for you guys to kind of balance that out. I mean, it’s in the script but how do you kind of balance that out in your performances so the character comes off rounded as far as taking it from the page and making it come alive?

Laura Mennell: "I think it all just sort of becomes about your choices and staying true to the character and the moment. I mean, sometimes something will be on the page and, you know, it’ll be interesting. But you’ll go – I really feel like it should maybe go this way. You might do subtle changes or sometimes things change a lot even on the day or little bits might be improved here or there. But, yes it depends. Obviously I think, I mean, for someone who infuses beautiful comedy into the show Gary I mean Ryan Cartwright is just ridiculously amazing. He is very witty and very smart in real life and it just comes through beautifully with his Gary. So he is probably the perfect example of that beautiful balance."

laura_mennell_as_nina1

Tony Tellado: And you’ve had some changes as far as the show runners but you had Bruce Miller come in from Eureka which is interesting. How has that been. Has that changed the dynamic on how you all work a little bit?

Laura Mennell: You know what it is always sad to see people go. I loved Ira I thought he was a wonderful show runner. I thought he was great. But then, you know, things change and you go with it and Bruce is wonderful as well in different ways. I loved his sort of energy and enthusiasm. Basically the first real meeting I had with him was so – it was just a lot of fun.I came to dinner with him and Warren and a bunch of the producers and he basically gave us the play by play of what the season would be like. And he was just so genuinely excited and sweet and great. So I mean it’s been great working with him. And, you know, working with someone who was a fan of the show in the first season and that really kind of came through this year I think..."

Alphas airs Monday at a NEW time, 8/7C, on Syfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment