Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Vampire Diaries - Collider: Persia White Interview

Source: Collider [follow link for complete interview]

Vampire Diaries

COLLIDER: Persia White Talks THE VAMPIRE DIARIES Season 3

by Christina Radish
March 8th, 2012


On The CW drama series The Vampire Diaries, actress/singer/artist/filmmaker Persia White plays witch Abby Bennett, who abandoned her daughter, Bonnie (Kat Graham), more than 15 years ago. Even though an energy-draining spell essentially left her witchcraft dormant, Abby was still able to work with Bonnie to open the coffin containing Esther (Alice Evans), leading both to the binding of all her Original vampire children, and to a shocking event that will change Abby forever.

During this recent exclusive phone interview with Collider, Persia White talked about how she came to be a part of The Vampire Diaries, how much she loves working with this cast, her reaction to finding out that her witch character was going to have a significant transition, how she prefers not knowing what’s coming next on the show, and how being a part of this has given her a better understanding of the vampire craze. She also talked about what draws her to other art forms, and why she enjoys making documentaries...

Photobucket


... Q: Does being a part of this show give you a better understanding of the whole vampire craze and why fans are so devoted to this type of story?

Persia White: "Absolutely, I get it now. I’ve liked a couple other things before. I liked working on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was one of the first things I did. Then, I was on Angel. I love the genre, but I hadn’t really seen any good vampire shows since then, until this one. I even liked the first Twilight a little bit. I liked the look and feel of it. I really love The Vampire Diaries because I like the show more than I like the books. I love what they’ve done with the show. I totally get it now.

Also, you can approach parallel issues. You could look at vampires versus witches the same as racial or religious groups, and people who have conflict with each other and don’t want their friends to join another group. There’s certain bias and hatred that goes on for hundreds of years, but it all comes down to family in love. I like that, in this world of mystery and vampires, we can explore things that we might not be able to confront, if we were actually calling them what they are. The friendship, family and love themes cross different lines, and I like that. I completely get it. The show has me into it, and I’m really picky. I’m not an easy sell, and I was really proud to be working on this show. I don’t know what will happen, but whatever happens, I just hope that I can do more...
"


The Vampire Diaries returns with new episodes on Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 8/7C on The CW.

No comments:

Post a Comment