Sunday, March 4, 2012

Doctor Who - Collider: Karen Gillan Interview

Source: Collider [follow link for complete interview]

Doctor Who season 5

COLLIDER; Karen Gillan Talks WE’LL TAKE MANHATTAN and Leaving DOCTOR WHO

by Christina Radish
March 2nd, 2012


We’ll Take Manhattan
tells the story of famed British photographer, David Bailey (Aneurin Barnard), and his model and muse, Jean Shrimpton (Karen Gillan), who together revolutionized the world of fashion photography. Setting out from London to Manhattan in the 1960′s, for a historic photo shoot for British Vogue, the brash and visionary Bailey refused to conform to the status quo and the now iconic photos that resulted, with Shrimpton posing in haute couture on the gritty streets of New York City, became the definition of a new generation of celebrity chic.

During this exclusive interview with Collider, actress Karen Gillan, best known for her role as Amy Pond, opposite Matt Smith on Doctor Who, talked about why she wanted to be a part of We’ll Take Manhattan, how strange her own experience as a model was, wanting to be as authentic as possible while embodying Jean Shrimpton, the moment when she felt that she had finally figured out the essence of the real woman, how much she loved the wardrobe, and how she would have loved to have met Shrimpton, but was happy to know that she loved the film. She also talked about what led to her departure from Doctor Who, what she’ll remember most fondly about her time on the show, what she looks for in a role, and her dream to do Broadway someday...

Photobucket

... Q: Were you happy to be a part of the final decision to leave Doctor Who?

Karen Gillan: "Oh, yeah! It would be so weird to just receive a script and find out that it was the end. That would be really weird. Oh, my god, I don’t know how I would feel about that. It was nice. I was just thinking about it and I had this instinct of when I wanted to leave, so I called Steven Moffat and we arranged dinner. He told me where he was at, story wise, and together we were like, “Okay, this is when we can do it.” It was actually so lovely and pleasant, and we both felt that it was the right time. In all honesty, I’ve had the best years of my life working on the show, so I’m going to be so sad to go. I really am..."

No comments:

Post a Comment