Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sanctuary - CinemaSpy: Agam Darshi Interview

Source: CinemaSpy [follow link for complete interview]

Photobucket

SANCTUARY - CINEMASPY: Agam Darshi: I Was Surprised Some Sanctuary Fans Hated Kate Freelander

By Michael Simpson
June 24, 2011

Sanctuary reaches the end of its third season on SPACE tonight and the episode, ‘Into the Black,’ promises to live up to the epic tradition the series’ writers have established for season finales. Shortly after filming was completed on the episode and the season, CinemaSpy sat down with star Agam Darshi to discuss year three and the evolution of her character, Kate Freelander.

Kate was written into Sanctuary in the show’s second season, coming in as a loose cannon with a past filled with criminal or otherwise unethical activities. Despite that, she was seen as an asset by Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) and brought into the fold. Some fans of the show were less welcoming, however. They saw Kate as replacing the character of Helen’s daughter, Ashley Magnus (Emilie Ullerup). Ashley had been on the show since it started as a Web series but was killed off at the start of Season Two. On the Internet disgruntled fans vented their anger at Ashley’s death, criticizing the show’s writers and Darshi. The strength of that reaction was unusual for Sanctuary, which had generally drawn considerably goodwill from its fan base. It was also surprising for Darshi.

Photobucket

I had such a good time filming the series that my perspective on it was something that was incredibly positive,” Darshi said. “I really had not thought about what the fans would think. I didn’t think they would love Kate right off the top but I didn’t think that they would absolutely hate her. So when the first impressions came out I was really taken aback and the fact that they didn’t really go away immediately was something that I was quite surprised at. Looking back on it now I can completely understand where the fans were coming from and why they felt the way they felt… I think part of it was, coming on to the show I never saw Kate as a replacement for Ashley. I don’t think anybody did. The fact that it was thought of that way by the fans, I can understand that they would hate Kate because they thought she was replacing Ashley...

No comments:

Post a Comment