Saturday, December 11, 2010

Stargate Universe - Tygh Runyan Interview

Source: Stargate Planet [follow link for complete interview] Interview also available in German

Interview with Tygh Runyan (Dr. Caine, SGU)

We know Tygh Runyan as "Dr. Caine" in Stargate Universe. When he presented his new movie "Road To Nowhere" at the annual Whistler Film Festival, we had the opportunity to ask him some question.

... S-P.de: Regarding stunt scenes, how far would you go or where would a stunt person would have to take over?

TR: I love fight scenes! I'll do everything regarding fights. I usually become good friends with the stunt coordinators on set. I think I annoy some of them though. I'm a black belt in aikido and have some mma experience, so I like to incorporate some of my own style into things. But mainly, the physicality and back-story of the character is paramount. So, if my character isn't trained in martial arts, but is a tough brawler it needs to look a certain way. Also, if I'm playing someone who doesn't know how to fight, but finds themselves in one, I want it to look messy and realistic, which can involve some risks that most stunt men aren't willing to take. For safety reasons, and because it's their job, they need it to be choreographed, but sometimes it just looks too planned out. I don't think I'd ever want to do a high fall or anything life threatening. I'll leave that stuff to the pros...

Photobucket

Photo courtesy of MGM

No comments:

Post a Comment