Monday, June 6, 2011

Lou Diamond Phillips - Video: The King and I - Jun 6 -12 - Kansas City, MO

Source: You Tube

Photobucket

The King and I starring Lou Diamond Phillips at Starlight Theatre

Starlight Theatre's 2011 season opener, is Rodgers & Hammerstein The King and I. This musical classic pits East versus West in a dramatic, richly textured and ultimately uplifting love story. When summoned to Bangkok's Royal Palace in 1862 to tutor the many children and wives of the King of Siam, English widow Anna struggles with the King's barbaric behavior. Over time, however, the two come to understand, respect and even embrace one another's traditions and values.

Lou Diamond Phillips returns to his Tony Award® nominated role of the King of Siam in The King and I. A well-known film, TV and stage actor, Lou's many credits include La Bamba, Stand and Deliver, Young Guns and Courage Under Fire.

Audiences will enjoy showstoppers including "Getting to Know You," "Hello, Young Lovers" and "Shall We Dance?"



Source: Kansas City Star [follow link for complete article]

Actor Lou Diamond Phillips is the ‘King’s’ main man

By ROBERT TRUSSELL
Sat, Jun. 04, 2011

... But this week Phillips is focused on “The King and I,” the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic about the relationship between the King of Siam and the English tutor he hires to school his many children.

I remember when they first called me to do it on Broadway I thought, ‘Wow, that’s kind of a musty old chestnut,’ ” Phillips said. “But then I read it. I was so struck by how timely and timeless it is, how dark it is in places, how sexy it is, and how funny.

I immediately put it in the pantheon of American Shakespeare, and it should be done over and over again. It talks about imperialism, misogyny, sexism, racism. There are some beautiful ideas to be thought about. The themes in ‘The King and I’ are as relevant today as they ever were.”

... “I feel very possessive of this role now,” Phillips said. “It’s just sort of fun to lay claim to this role. I’m up to 550 performances now.”

... And Phillips thinks he might be able to bring a greater depth to the piece than he did in the ’90s. He’s not the same guy.

When I first did it, I didn’t have any children,” he said. “I was 35. Now I’m 49. I have four daughters. I see the world differently now. I wouldn’t want to go back and just do it by rote. I want to find out how my life can enrich the character. … I love this role. I love King Arthur. Both those roles bring tears to my eyes. They’re iconic characters.

A lot of people forget that it really is that moving. It is that touching. It’s not some little bon mot of a play. It’s got depth and feeling in it. And every song is a classic.”

THIS WEEK
The King and I” opens Monday and runs through Sunday at Starlight Theatre. Call 816-363-7827 or go to www.kcstarlight.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment