Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Big Bang Theory - Media Blvd Magazine: Simon Helberg Interview

Source: Media Blvd. Magazine [follow link for complete interview]

Big Bang

MEDIA BLVD. MAGAZINE: Simon Helberg, "The Big Bang Theory" star, talks about Dr. Horrible Sequel & More!

Friday, 18 March 2011
By Frederic Germay

Actor Simon Helberg stars in the Thursday night comedy smash hit, “The Big Bang Theory,” as the lovable nerd, Howard Wolowitz. Before “Big Bang,” Simon has had roles in critically acclaimed television series such as Aaron Sorkin’s “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip,” and he’s been a season regular on the popular late night sketch comedy series, “MADtv.” In 2008, Simon played the villianous sidekick, Moist, in cult icon Joss Whedon’s, Emmy-Award winning “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog” internet series. “Dr. Horrible” won numerous awards, including People’s Choice Award for ‘Favorite Online Sensation,” and it ranked at #15 for TIME’s 50 top Inventions of 2008.

Simon recently took the time out of his busy shooting schedule to talk with MediaBlvd Magazine about his new independent film, “I am I.” Simon’s film is being produced by the rising film & arts website, www.KickStarter.com. Read the previously published portion of the interview here.

In the rest of the interview listed below, Simon discusses his origins in the acting business, his experiences working on “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip,” the effects of the time slot change for “The Big Bang Theory,” and he dishes the latest news on the highly anticipated “Dr. Horrible” sequel!

Photobucket

... MediaBlvd> Out of curiosity, since you play a bit of a nerd on “The Big Bang Theory,” are you anything like your character, Howard Wolowitz, in real life?

Simon> Um, yes and no. The most I can really relate is not in [in terms of] fashion and [the way he] executes things, but I am a passionate person, which I think all these characters are, so I know what it’s like to feel really enthusiastic about something. For me, it’s not being an engineer and it’s not hitting on every girl that walks by [laughs], but I do feel like a bit of a romantic, I guess… I know I could liken that to him [Howard], although instead of sonnets, he’s got the worst, you know, crash-landing of a pickup line [laughs].

[Howard] is definitely a lot more confident and bolder than I am, and he doesn’t quite understand the concept of the word ‘no’ and rejection. His insecurity is so deeply buried that it’s nearly undetectable, and I’m a little more neurotic and insecure, I think, in real life than he might be. It’s more fun to just do the things you wish you got to do – where you wish you had the guts to walk up to girls and maybe not say those specific things [that Howard might say], but in his mind, he’s reciting Shakespeare, so… But it’s fun to imagine always having that confidence; I think that he just thinks when he’s in a room that it’s all about him. It’s fun to play that, because as an actor, you can kind of relate to being egocentric at times. Still, I’m a far cry from a gaming/engineering Casanova, but I do hold these characters dear to my heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment