Saturday, January 29, 2011

Justified - Fanbolt: Elmore Leonard Interview

Source: Fanbolt [follow link for complete interview]

Justified

NOTE: Justified's second season premieres on a NEW night, Wednesday, February 9 at 10/9C on FX with "The Moonshine War."

FANBOLT: Interview: Elmore Leonard From 'Justified'

by TVBrittanyF on January 29, 2011

As '[Justified' returns for its second season on February 9, I sat down with the man we owe it all to - legendary novelist Elmore Leonard - to talk about one of the best dramas on television, how it got to be that way, and the already much-anticipated next literary adventure of Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens...

... Q: We heard at Justified's TCA panel that the show inspired you to pen a new Raylan Givens novel for next year. It's been ten years since you wrote "Fire In The Hole." What was it like picking up the character after so long?

EL: He's easy, because I just know him. I've written so many Westerns - he could fit into any one of those. I'm using the same rhythm that I write everything in. For the most part, I'm writing about cops and robbers. I try and make them different; I try to give everybody a sense of humor, of not saying everything straight, to make them interesting. I just get a feel for the characters. I know them.

Q: Can you give us an idea of what we can expect from the new novel? Is it going to reflect a little more of the TV series?

EL: I'm writing [it] in three parts. In the very first scene, they go into a motel to arrest somebody for marijuana and he's in the bathtub naked with a bandage on his stomach. Raylan doesn't know what it is. One of the other Marshals says, "Oh, he's had his kidney removed." They're stealing kidneys...

No comments:

Post a Comment