Thursday, February 2, 2012

Justified - AV Club: Walton Goggins Interview

Source: AV Club [follow link for complete interview]

Justified

AV CLUB: WALTON GOGGINS INTERVIEW

by Todd VanDerWerff
January 31, 2012

Actor Walton Goggins has starred in numerous films and guest-starred in many TV shows. He even produced an Oscar-winning short film, “The Accountant.” But he’s best known for two intense but very different roles on FX crime dramas. His work as loyal-to-a-fault (until he wasn’t) Shane Vendrell gave the classic cop show The Shield much of its bruised heart over the show’s run, especially in the series’ final three seasons. But his more recent (and Emmy-nominated) work as Justified’s Boyd Crowder, a Kentucky criminal who struggles with morality and finding his own path in life, has proved just as soulful and surprising, particularly since he became a series regular at the start of season two. Goggins recently talked to The A.V. Club about Boyd’s physicality, writers keeping surprises from the actors, and which of his two most famous characters was more heroic...

Photobucket

Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins from Justified courtesy of FX


... AVC: Was there a moment when you felt like you really discovered who Boyd Crowder is?

Walton Goggins: "I think I’m still discovering who Boyd Crowder is. To be quite honest with you, I’m constantly surprised, but I do think there was a moment in the second episode we did after the pilot that I felt “This is who this guy is.” I was lying in the hospital room talking to Raylan. It was a scene Graham [Yost] had written. Boyd was only going to be there for the pilot, and I wanted that guy to be as smart as he possibly could, and to be a showman, and to be bigger than life, and even if you disagreed with what he was saying, you couldn’t help but be kind of drawn in by him. I did that in a way that it was only going to be for one episode. I wouldn’t have wanted to sustain that guy in that way.

We had a conversation before we started the second [episode] and before they invited me to come back, and I said, “Well, this is a guy who lives in extremes, so he had a near-death experience. What if he goes to find God?” That’s it. That’s what happens. He can be the same way, but for different reasons. And I think that’s when I realized, “Wow, this is a guy not in balance. This is a guy that lives at the ends of spectrums, depending on where the pendulum has swung.” What I thought was so smart in season two for the writers to write for Boyd was for Boyd to really be forced with the opportunity to look at himself, and to accept himself for who he was, and for his swings not to be so big, and for him to truly be in balance...
"


Justified airs Tuesday at 10/9C on FX.

No comments:

Post a Comment