Saturday, March 26, 2011

SciFi and TV Talk: Kavan Smith Interview (Eureka, Iron Invader)

Source: SciFi and TV Talk [follow link for complete interview]

Eureka 2

SCIFI AND TV TALK: Eureka's Kavan Smith - Robo Cop

03/25/2011
by Steve Eramo

As Major Evan Lorne on Stargate SG-1, Kavan Smith helped safeguard Earth from attack by the alien Goa’uld, while on Stargate Atlantis the major and his fellow Atlantis teammates risked their lives to protect the legendary metropolis from the Wraith, whose ultimate goal was to get to Earth and turn the planet into their new feeding ground.

Nowadays the actor is once again protecting others, only this time closer to home, as the humanoid robot Deputy Andy on Eureka. Introduced in the show’s third year, Andy replaced Jack Carter as town sheriff by order of General Mansfield. However, in Eureka’s fourth season alternate timeline, the robotic Andy was once again deputy and ultimately sacrificed himself in order to help Sheriff Carter and Dr. Trevor Grant shut down an out-of-control experiment. Lucky for Andy, Douglas Fargo was able to rebuild him, better than ever and with a new face, which is how Smith came to book the job.

Photobucket

Kavan Smith and Colin Ferguson from Eureka

“Funnily enough, I didn’t even know I was taking over someone else’s role [Defying Gravity’s Ty Olsson played the first Deputy Andy] until I was well into playing the character,” notes Smith. “The audition itself was a fairly simple process. When I went in I was told, ‘No robot acting. Just keep it straightforward and make him sweet and lovable in a 50s sort of way.’ I was also told that they had offers out to some bigger-name actors in the States, so I didn’t think much of my chances. However, two weeks went by and I got a call late one night asking me, ‘How quickly can you be in wardrobe tomorrow?’

“I was sent a DVD of some of Ty Olsson’s work on the program and I watched it just to get a sense of what he did and how I would differ, and I think they are totally different performances. After the first couple of episodes I started to make Andy my own and kind of put my brand on him so to speak. And I’ve got to be honest with you, I love playing him. He’s so much fun,” enthuses the actor. “I’ve never played anyone like Andy before. I’m really enjoying myself, perhaps more than with any other role that I’ve ever played...”

No comments:

Post a Comment