Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fringe - TV Guide: Ask Matt - Mar 6 '12

Source: TV Guide [follow link for complete column]

Fringe season 4

TV GUIDE: Ask Matt: Mentalist, Good Wife, Smash, Glee, Parenthood and More!

Mar 6, 2012
by Matt Roush

Send questions to askmatt@tvguidemagazine.com and follow on Twitter!


... Question: Where's the love for Fringe? What I mean is as recently as last season, there was no end of favorable press about J.J. Abrams' wonderful, fascinating puzzle of a show. Yet this year when Fringe needs good press more than ever, it seems the entertainment press has been MIA. What's sad is I think this year's season is as good as anything else that's gone before, with the usual sparkling performances by Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson and above all, John Noble. Any thoughts on why all the members of the entertainment press have seemingly deserted Fringe in its hour of greatest need?

— Nick



Matt Roush: I wouldn't say all. I've stayed loyal to Fringe (putting it on my Top 10 year-end list), and selected others have as well. But there has been some resistance among the show's former champions to Fringe having created yet another timeline for this season and staying with it for so long, at the expense of many of the stories, characters and developments from what many feel was the series-high third season. I understand that, but don't particularly agree with this backlash. I feel that Fringe is grounding this season in just as provocative and fruitful an emotional arc, as Peter desperately tries to find his way home. It's still like no other sci-fi/fantasy series I've ever seen, and I'm enjoying it. But I can respect opinions to the contrary, even at the risk of fewer people beating the drum for renewal this year. (It's kind of how I feel these days about Supernatural, which has pretty much run its course by now. The rabid fans will disagree, but it's too bad Fringe has to sweat it out on Fox while Supernatural coasts on The CW, where it's hard to tell if a cut-off line for survival even exists.)


Fringe returns with NEW episodes on Friday, March 23, 2012 at 9/8C on FOX.

No comments:

Post a Comment