Monday, August 15, 2011

Torchwood: Miracle Day - TV Guide: Ask Matt: August 15, 2011

Source: TV Guide [follow link for complete column]

Torchwood 2

TORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY - TV GUIDE: Ask Matt: August 15, 2011

Aug 15, 2011
by Matt Roush


Send questions to askmatt@tvguidemagazine.com and follow [him] on Twitter!

... Question: Personally I have to disagree with your assessment of Torchwood: Miracle Day. As a long-term fan of both Torchwood and Doctor Who, I am very pleased with this particular show. Each week I am left with a gasp and a panic that it has been almost an hour already. I just want it to keep going. Re: Bill Pullman's creepy performance, while it leaves me questioning how the character got where it is, there is no denying his acting chops. I do agree that Rex is just annoying, but I love Esther and how she reminds me of the first days of Gwen with Torchwood. For me, Children of Earth didn't leave me eagerly waiting for the next week the way this one does, and I can't wait for the big bad scheme to reveal itself. I am so glad they brought the show to Starz and can't wait for more seasons and more fantastic stories, although I do pray they go back to the original format, one story a week with some things spanning more time, especially character back stories. — Terri

Matt Roush: If you like back stories, you're in for a treat in next week's episode ("Immortal Sins"), which delivers a doozy of a flashback for Jack that finally starts getting to the heart of what's behind the "miracle." This is easily my favorite episode of this particular series — which is a good thing, because the most recent episode ("The Middle Men") may have been my least favorite, with some of the clumsiest action sequences in recent memory, especially in the San Pedro facility, where bad acting and ridiculous plotting proved as lethal as the ovens. As someone who found Children of Earth one of the most thrilling pieces of TV in years, and the apex of the entire Torchwood experience, I'm obviously going to disagree that the overextended, often unfocused Miracle Day is better at delivering the goods, but I do agree that I'd love to see Torchwood revert, even briefly, to its more episodic format, if that's even possible given the current state of Torchwood itself. But again, even though I've found this miniseries to be awfully uneven, I recommend this Friday's episode very highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment