Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ferocious Planet - Pazsaz: Joe Flanigan Interview - Airs Apr 9 9/8C on Syfy (US)

Source: Pazsaz [follow link for complete interview]

Photobucket

FEROCIOUS PLANET - PAZAZ: Joe Flanigan Interview

This is an interview from April 6, 2011 with Joe Flanigan from the Syfy movie Ferocious Planet. In "Ferocious Planet," an experimental device designed to view alternate universes malfunctions on its first demonstration, transporting a group of observers into a nightmarish new dimension. The team must use ingenuity and courage to outwit the bloodthirsty creatures of this bizarre world, while trying to repair the damaged machine and return home...

... Question: What did you find to be the most challenging part of making the film?

Joe Flanigan: "Well, a lot of the visual effects were not entirely fleshed out and shown to us. So when you're acting, you're acting against what you think will be the special effects in post-production. And you can only guess. So when you go and gauge your reaction to something, you have something in your head, I had some drawings they gave me. But when I saw the movie, the monsters were way bigger than I thought they were.

Oh, my God. It's very, very tricky and fraught with a lot of obstacles when you're doing science fiction acting. And I'm a bit of a stickler on set about making sure I know exactly what the levels of urgency are so that I don't get a lot of egg on my face after they do a lot of the post-production. And you say to yourself, "My God! Why is he not reacting to the 300 foot tall monster?" Because I thought it was 3 feet tall. So you can imagine it gets tricky.

Honestly, I think science fiction acting is an art form, and I think it's so much harder than people have any idea, and I don't think it gets the respect that it deserves. And if you talk to people like Robert Patrick and these guys, they'll tell you how truly difficult it could be..."

Ferocious Planet airs Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 9/8C on Syfy (US).

No comments:

Post a Comment