Monday, January 10, 2011

Human Target - TV Guide: Ask Matt January 10, 2011

Source: TV Guide [follow link for complete column]

Ask Matt: Being Human, Closer, Bones, Cape, Spartacus and More!

Jan 10, 2011 by Matt Roush

Send questions to askmatt@tvguidemagazine.com and follow me on Twitter!

Photobucket

... Question: I've been trying to decide what I think of the changes to Human Target, to the point that I discussed it with my husband. You described it as "an OK thing," which I thought the show barely was last season; I kept watching mainly because I'm a sucker for Jackie Early Haley's work, and even last year I thought Guerrero was a great character. My impression is that the show must have improved this season because I find it more enjoyable than time filler-ish. Were the new characters needed? Yes and no. What was needed in my opinion was for us to have the sensation that the team was actually working together. To have Chance off risking his life with some random guest star every week with Winston and Guerrero stashed safely in some distant location just didn't work very well. And (forgive me, Valley fans) it's an awful lot to ask Mark Valley to carry that the show almost alone. They don't even ask Nathan Fillion to do that!

You like the boss; I'll tell you why they added Ames. They introduced Ames as someone who was aware, and in awe of, Guerrero's reputation. The twist is that she thinks ruthless little Guerrero is the cool one, not handsome, daring, caring Chance. Meanwhile, Guerrero is a bit annoyed by this intrusion into his ordered world. (Plus, her skills come in handy.) Personally, I think these particular characters provide some interesting relationship and interplay opportunities, so hopefully it will last long enough to explore some of these. Or at least until we find out who the plumber is. — Mary

Matt Roush: All excellent points, especially where the ensemble nature of the show is concerned. No slight to Mark Valley, but the show is better when the team is operating in tandem and everyone has something to do. Especially Guerrero, and I agree that he's this show's not-so-secret weapon. If Ames helps reinforce that notion, then all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment